Tophat Soccer Club of Atlanta offers young women recreational soccer from U5 to U19 and cooperates with NASA/Tophat competitive teams for U8 through U19.
Purpose and Philosophy
Tophat Soccer Club was created to serve the needs of the more committed soccer player, and we begin by teaching very young players the necessary fundamentals. The educational goals of our Club are:
• to teach a high level of soccer skills and tactics.
• to encourage our players to be the best that they can be.
• to foster a Club atmosphere in which the good of the whole Club is valued as well as the needs of the individual.
• to offer the opportunity for girls to experience the sense of pride and accomplishment that comes from dedication and team work.
• to foster the development of physical, mental, social and emotional fitness.
• to have as much fun as is humanly possible in the process.
When players reach the Athena level, we ask that they commit the time and effort necessary to bring about self improvement and to contribute to the goals of their team. We make the same demands on the Tophat coaching staff. We take pride in the fact that our Club is not just a loose collection of individual teams, but a true soccer club in which teams get to know each other and support each other, on and off the field. Tophat coaches are "club" coaches, as opposed to individual team coaches, and as such, are pooled, shared and periodically re-distributed among the teams to meet the needs of individual teams and the club as a whole. Older soccer players are enlisted to serve as assistant coaches for the younger teams, and to help at summer camps and clinics. We believe that we have a club concept that is unique to Georgia girls' soccer. Click here to read our club handbook.
The Tophat Soccer Club traces its beginning back to the Spring of 1982, when the original Under-12 Tophatters were formed at Atlanta's Northside YMCA. The team name was taken from Cy Strickler's Navy Fighter Squadron, VF-14. The Fighting Fourteen "Tophatters" are the Navy's oldest active squadron and have a history filled with pride and excellence. Many of our players have seen the "Big Top Hat" in the Navy display of the Air and Space Museum in Washington, DC. See VF-14's web site.
Some of the highlights of our history are as follows:
• 1982 - Original U-12 Tophatters form at Northside YMCA.
• 1983 - Tophatters split into two teams.
• 1984 - Older team of U-19 Tophatters added.
• 1985 - First field at Tophat facility developed, for girls only. First trip to WAGS Tournament.
• 1986 - Club has expanded to fourteen teams. Tophatters win first State Championship, Regionals in Dallas, TX.
• 1987 - Tophatters win first WAGS Championship (U-15).
• 1988 - Second field built at Tophat facility. The "Big Tophat Hat Trick" - Three State Champions, Regionals in Tulsa, OK.
• 1989 - Regional Runner-up (U-12).
• 1990 - Three State Champions, Regionals in Memphis, TN.
• 1991 - Region III Champions and USYSA Nationals Final Four (U-16).
• 1992 - Third field built at Tophat facility. Three State Champions, Regionals in Greensboro, NC.
• 1993 - Three State Champions, Regionals in Houston, TX. Regional Third Place (U-12 Tophat 00 Gold).
• 1994 - Capital Fund Drive provides Tophat with a permanent home on Fairfield Rd.
• 1995 - Three State Champions travel to Greenville, SC. Regional Third Place (U-14 Tophat 99 Gold).
• 1997 - Five Tophat Teams State Champions - U14 Tophat 01 Gold, U15 Tophat 00 Gold, U16 Tophat 99 Gold, U17 Tophat 98 Gold, U18 Tophat 97 Gold. Region tournament at Greensboro NC - Tophat 97 Gold Region Finalist.
• 1998 - Five Tophat Teams State Champions - U15 Tophat 01 Gold, U16 Tophat 00 Gold, U17 Tophat 99 Gold, U18 Tophat 98 Gold, U19 Tophat 97 Gold. Three Tophat Teams USYSA Region III Champions - U17 Tophat 99 Gold, U18 Tophat 98 Gold, U19 Tophat 97 Gold.